With the 2016 election, progressive Americans were caught off-guard. During the Obama years, we had congratulated ourselves on the impending death of reactionary so-called conservatism. Well, that didn’t happen.
It is now clear that America needs to fall in love with Justice again. I’ve spent the last week or so thinking about a spell to help that process along. It was inspired, of course, by my Fall in Love with Learning spell.
King Solomon Wisdom the basis of this work, too, for “where there is no vision the people perish” (Proverbs 29:18). But you will also need Love Me, Power, and Crucible of Courage. Mix them together: oils with oils, bath salts with bath salts, powders with powders. I don’t specifically call for the incense, but if you like it, you can use the incenses too — together or taking turns with each one separately. You will use these to:
- Start with at least one bath. (Buying one each of these Lucky Mojo brand bath crystals will give you enough for seven or eight baths.)
- Spike your grooming products and laundry supplies with the oils or bath crystals.
- Dress your shoe soles with the oils so you can track them wherever you need to see justice done: the police station, the courthouse, your workplace, your school, your neighborhood.
- Instead of schoolbooks, get a copy of your country’s constitution and a liberal/progressive manifesto such as Letter from Birmingham Jail. Dress them with the powders. Put them on your nightstand and read them each night. Use a scripture such as Psalm 65 as a bookmark.
- The ACLU sells pocket-size copies of the U. S. Constitution with the Bill of Rights and tips on what to do if you are stopped by the police. A single one is $5.00, a pack of 10 is $11.99.
- Conservative websites are also giving away copies of the Constitution. If you are a liberal, consider getting your copy from such a source, the same way you’d start your enemies fighting with each other by borrowing salt from them!)
- If you keep a Justice Altar (and why wouldn’t you?), you can mark your favorite passages in them and use them as prayers or liturgy.
- There are also prayers for the country in the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer. Don’t hesitate to use those.
- You can use the mojo bag I described in my Fall in Love with Learning spell — Solomon’s Seal root, Star Anise, and Five Finger Grass — but add Master Root, Bay Leaf (which you can write on!) and John the Conqueror or Queen Elizabeth Root. Feed it with the oils.
May this work fortify you for action in the real world: whether it’s marching, filing lawsuits, drafting legislation, or just making a few phone calls with your morning coffee.
2 thoughts on ““Righteousness and peace have kissed each other” — time to Fall In Love with Justice”
If you get a copy of the Constitution from a conservative organization, is there anything that should be done to dress or treat it to turn it to a progressive purpose?
The Constitution was already a progressive document when it was new 🙂 — but now that you mention it —